Worthing Occult and Paranormal Investigations

occult and paranormal - 24 hour contact number - 07939513362 . or 07980993105 alternatively Email us - [email protected]

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Ghosts of sisters past

Linda

I found this article in the Guardian about hauntings in UK Hospitals.

One night in 1975, Mary McLellan was working as a ward sister at the Western Infirmary in Glasgow. She was setting up a piece of equipment in a room facing a well-lit corridor when she became aware of a "tall, silver-haired man wearing a blue dressing gown and standing near the doorway of the ward opposite".

He stood still and silent for a moment and then vanished. But she thought nothing of it, assuming he was a patient who had just gone back to bed. "Almost immediately, the ward nurse came over to me," McLellan recalls. "She was very upset at seeing the apparition. She recognised him as a patient who had died two days previously."

Click link to read rest of article....

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2004/dec/22/health.healthandwellbeing

--

January 23, 2014 at 6:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

madmexican
Administrator

I hear many stories like this in the past. 

I suppose it must be expected really in that profession.

--

January 23, 2014 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sionna

Very true.. I enjoyed reading that Linda, it made me think back to when I was a student nurse at an old victorian hospital in London and the strange unexplained encounters that I experienced on a couple of occasions.

I was working nights on the fifth floor orthopaedics and this hospital was shaped like a cross so you could see different wards and wings from wherever you were. The phone rang at about 2am and it was a call from the ward across the courtyard directly opposite, the nurse there said I am just calling to see if all is ok as I can see a person following you around as you have been checking on patients, now I would have noticed if one of my patients was out of bed, but all were asleep and accounted for safely in their beds, the other staff member I was working with was on  break and not on the ward.. this actually scared me a bit.

The wards were the long old style where the only access in was through main doors near my little desk and whenever they opened they made noise and let loads of light in.... but the doors never opened the patients didn't get out of bed , I wonder what she saw?

She made one further call to us at just before 3 am after seeing the same figure following us, this time my colleague was back on the ward and he didnt see anything either.. needless to say we couldn't wait until daylight.

Another procedure that proves how seriously the wanderings of spirits are taken in the N.H.S-  

On the wall of the fourth floor hangs a painting of an old consultant way back from when the hospital first opened in the late1800's he has been seen many times by patients and staff during the early hours of the morning standing at the foot of their beds just staring at them, he appears to walk through walls and rise up through the floor, unfortunately his appearances have a sinister connection, for when he appears 3 patients will unexpectedly die.  He has walked the wards and corridors for nearly 150 years, rumoured to be upset that his dying wishes and large financial legacy that he left to the hospital were not carried out. The hospital placed shutters on his picture and it was written into the night sisters contract that before midnight the shutters on his picture must be locked, this procedure was taken most seriously.

One other incident that left me very scared occured again during a set of nights, this time I was on my break with a fellow nurse and we had gone to the basement to get a snack from the machine, to get there you walk through endless tiled tunnels that connect all parts of the hospital, with one even stretching down the road to the British museum.. not sure why!

Anyway these tunnels are long and the floor tiled so you can hear a pin drop and you have a clear view in both directions for a considerable distance, in the early hours of the morning about 1.30am my friend and I have the most shocking encounter in a deserted basement.

We get our food from the machine and turn around and right behind us is a mortuary trolley with body lying on top shrouded but toe/ankle tag visable, how did that get there? It  was not there a moment ago and could not get there without us hearing or seeing it get there, no noise of clanking trolley wheels on tiles, no footsteps, nobody put it there. My friend and I looked at each other and screamed we dropped our food and in that instance the trolley disappeared..... and we ran off through the tunnels in shock!

--

Sionna

January 24, 2014 at 4:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sionna

I read the guardian article, but they are wrong about the University College Hospital consultant ghost, I remember that it was 3 patients that would unexpectedly die due to the wanderings of the long dead doctor 

--

Sionna

January 24, 2014 at 5:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sionna

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UCL_Gower_Street.jpg

--

Sionna

January 24, 2014 at 5:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sionna

Here is University College Hospitals sister The Middlesex just off Oxford street in central London, the site of my experience with the figure following me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlesex_Hospital

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2aSYx3FFqs

--

Sionna

January 24, 2014 at 5:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Malcolm

The Brighton General hospital is very haunted. It was originally a work house, which may explain some sightings but the majority of sightings seem to pertain to its medical past. Nurses in old style uniforms have been seen apparently working in closed down wards. A friend of mine who is a security guard at the site has seen faces at the windows of the closed down parts of the building & has investigated & found nothing. On one occasion he & his colleague stood in a corridor that has lights that come on as people set off the sensors & the lights came on one by one as if someone was walking towards them. They didnt stay around. It woukld be a great investigation if we were allowed to do it.

January 26, 2014 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

madmexican
Administrator

Ah workhouses. An old favorite subject of mine being how my old Gran RIP was born in one. Possily the worst places in the world and that would certainly cause unhappy spirits im sure. However I enjoy reading about the hardships endured by its inmates.

We once covered a subject of an Assylum closed down in a small town near Hayward Heath. Hellingly I think the place was. That place had all the hallmarks of a workhouse of old. But I would imagine that would be one hell olf a place for investigations if you could get around the Barracades.

--

January 27, 2014 at 4:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Loneswordsman

Very small part of the actual building/buildings left now Mex. Most of the grounds has been turned into housing

January 27, 2014 at 6:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Loneswordsman

https://www.facebook.com/hellinglymentalasylum/photos_stream

January 27, 2014 at 6:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Malcolm

Hellingly Hospital was a terrible place, it actually had its own little railway from Hellingly station into the hospital. The story was the line was for goods etc, but the locals knew it was so "inmates" could be taken to & from the hospital without upsetting the local residents. Another one that was alledged to be haunted was Greylingwell near Chichester.

January 27, 2014 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom G

<<Possily the worst places in the world and that would certainly cause unhappy spirits im sure>>

Sounds like Brighton General, as I remember it.

--

January 27, 2014 at 7:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sionna

Has anyone had any paranormal experiences in Pluckley?

--

Sionna

January 28, 2014 at 12:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

madmexican
Administrator

No Iv not done Pluckley I have to say.

Grans Workhouse was Petersfield as I recall on her birth certificate. Love lane,,,, and that is also part of a housing estate now. Magnificent buildings were some workhouses, its a shame they were wasted on inflicting misery on people.

Railway track lol... It must have been like Auswitz. 

Graylingwell is still around of course but its not the place it once was I am pleased to say. Worthing now has its own metal illness section at Swandean. I nearly ran a patient over some weeks back. A man just walked onto the A27 without looking in either direction from the hospital.

--

January 28, 2014 at 5:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

madmexican
Administrator

Loneswordsman at January 27, 2014 at 6:50 AM

https://www.facebook.com/hellinglymentalasylum/photos_stream

Yes I have seen that site before.

Those photos are amazing. It really drives the horror of it home.

Christs Hospital in Horsham is another place that drives the imagination. Been there many a time but never inside.

--

January 28, 2014 at 5:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda

I think that some of these asylums were absolute hell holes.  Once people were incarcerated they rarely made it back into the real world.  What went on inside these places doesn't bear thinking about, but the remains of the building seem to echo past horrors....

--

January 28, 2014 at 6:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

semper occultus

this is a bumped thread on the Fortean Times board - I immediatley thought of the amazing post in this thread by Sionna. Tempted to post it on there but its not my story !

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/weird-hospital-happenings.30586/

October 5, 2017 at 11:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda

Thanks for the link, Semper.  Here is a link to some nursing ghost stories..http://allnurses.com/general-nursing-discussion/whats-your-best-108202.html

--

October 5, 2017 at 8:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

1258 views - 0 comments
1451 views - 0 comments
1454 views - 0 comments
1562 views - 0 comments

Recent Video Blogs

No video yet.

Recent Podcasts

• Cleaned Up